We arrived at our Jervis Bay anchorage just as the sun was setting. We looked for the free moorings as listed in Adam Lucas’ guide to NSW but they turned out to be too shallow for us.  We anchored further out from them and had a good holding.

Between Bermagui & Jervis Bay we had no trouble catching our dinner

We both enjoy fishing, I have to admit that Ken is more skilled than I am (he has had more practice). We were really spoilt for choice when sailing up from Bermagui to Jervis Bay. So much so we actually threw back ones that were the same as we had already eaten and caught a different species instead.  Things have changed greatly as we get more north along the Australian coast.

We went through miles of feeding dolphins and birds

On our trip up from Bermagui we had a little rain, however this did not prevent us enjoying the spectacle of birds feeding.  These were adult gannets showing their young how to fish.

We often have dolphins ride our bow wave, in Jervis Bay the water was lovely and clear and so we were able to watch them really well.  They do it simply because it is fun!

We often see dolphin; they love to ride our bow wave. However this time they were only interested in feeding. There were also thousands of them in every direction, we travelled for hours between them as the fed and never showed the slightest bit of interest in ‘playing’ with us.

These pools of water were sweet fresh water

On the other side of the wooded area is a firing range for the military – we didn’t venture there…

Ken transports our fuel in an abandoned shopping trolly

Whenever we stop for a bit of R ‘n R, we catch up on any maintenance jobs as well as replenishing supplies.

Ken does some minor repairs to our inflatable dinghy

Top of the list is often fuel. Some places it is luxurious to be able to just sail up to a fuel pump and refuel, however in Jervis Bay we used Google Maps to locate a service station for us (Vincentia),  anchored as close in as we could and used the dinghy to get ashore.

We used this abandoned shopping trolly to get our fuel containers back to the beach for transporting on the dinghy back to Nichola

We filled up our fuel containers and then used an abandoned and battered shopping trolly to get them from the fuel station onto the beach and into the dinghy.

Ken made two trips with the fuel containers to get them aboard Nichola

We walked the trolly back to the nearest shopping centre only to notice that this trolly was from their opposition…

Ken hams it up for the camera, ‘a man’s job is never done’

We put the clothes out to dry on the hot stones – went for a swim and came back and folded them.  Beautiful, sweet smelling, sun kissed washing.

We bathed ourselves and dd our washing in the fresh water rock pools. Nichola was happily anchored close by.

As we approached Jervis Bay the VMR (Voluntary Marine Rescue) were issuing warnings about war games and live ammunition being set off in the area. Fortunately they missed us, or we missed them!

Jervis Bay was busy with helicopters and landing craft entering and exiting the huge vessel in the middle of the bay

The next day we were entertained by ‘war games’ as helicopters flew overhead, boarding craft came out from the huge craft in the middle of the bay, deploying vehicles ashore and then returning afterwards to the ‘mother ship’.

There were free moorings available close to Long Jetty. Unfortunately they were too shallow for us to take advantage of.

We had a lovely time snorkelling along this shore. The water temperature was wonderful compared to Tasmania.  We were surprised by how few yachts were sailing in the bay.  One of the locals told us that it was still ‘too cold for the locals’!